Pages

Tuesday 10 July 2012

The Tartan Wife's Recipes #1 - Pulled Pork


Finger Lickin', Lip Smackingly Tasty Recipe


For me, one of life's greatest pleasures is eating tasty food, whether it be at home or at a restaurant. I strive to eat a diet which is as "clean" as possible, especially when eating at home, in order to maintain my health and energy levels. So as not to feel deprived, I also ensure that this food is as tasty and luxurious as possibles. This also allows me to be able to eat whatever I want when I eat out. 


This recipe is a slightly naughty, but still pretty healthy meal which I enjoy occasionally (but could live on for the rest of my life!)


This recipe makes two servings of the pulled pork. You will have left over barbeque sauce, which can be refrigerated, or stored in the freezer for a month (ensure that you defrost thoroughly)


For the clean eating barbeque sauce you will need:

500g carton of passata
142g tin of tomato paste
1 tsp. soy sauce (I use Gluten Free, but you could also use low salt)
2 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. paprika
1 tbsp. garlic powder
1 tbsp. onion powder
4 tbsp. molasses (you can get a huge jar of this from Holland and Barrett for not many pennies!)
3 tbsp. honey (I use raw organic, but you can use any honey)
3 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
OPTIONAL - When making ribs, I love a little bit of a kick, so add some chilli to taste. I like to use SIMPLYaddCHILLI Wild, and I add about two teaspoons.....it has lots of other fresh ingredients so adds an amazing flavor. If adding fresh or dried chilli, definitely add to taste. Remember, you can always add more if you want more of a kick!
To make the barbeque sauce:
Pop all of the delicious ingredients into a mixing bowl, give it a good, thorough stir and then let it sit for at least 5 minutes to allow the flavours to develop.

For the pulled pork, you will need:

600g of a cheap cut of Organic pork (I used a trimmed, boneless shoulder - you can use ribs or another type of boned joint, but adjust weight upwards to account for the bones you will be removing).
One cup of water

To make the pulled pork:

Put the pork into your slow cooker (if you do not have one, I would highly recommend that you invest in one. It provides you with lovely hot meals when you come in from work, without having to slave over the stove).
Cover with the one cup of water.

Cook on low for 8-10 hours, until the pork is tender and easily falls apart (can vary due to slow cooker). In the mean time, prepare your clean eating barbeque sauce.

Drain the liquid from the pork and shred your pork with two forks.

Add in a dolop of barbeque sauce at a time until you reach your desired consistency.

Serve on a bed of salad and enjoy!

  

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait to try this!I love pulled pork and want to eat more healthily.

    Can you do some posts on fashion or style and show us your luxury goods that you like? I like to look at photographs of nice things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to start eating clean. What is your typical daily diet?

    ReplyDelete